Preparing this baked ravioli appetizer is a great way to feed your Thamksgiving guests in the run-up to the big meal.
Ok, so I’ve never actually seen baked ravioli appetizer in Italy. But since the main ingredient in this dish is ravioli, I’m going to run with it. Start off by purchasing a 9-ounce package of your favorite refrigerated cheese ravioli. In my case, this product is Buitoni. I counted these little critters and my package held 43 ravioli, so you can serves these to about 10 or 12 guests.
Combine the breadcrumbs and the Parmesan cheese in a bowl. I use panko crumbs but you can use any kind you like including the ones that contain Italian herb seasoning. If using crumbs with no herb seasoning, sprinkle a quarter teaspoon of dried oregano and basil into the mix.
Combine the sour cream and the milk and stir until the sour cream lumps are vanquished. Dip a ravioli into the sour cream mixture then into the breadcrumbs. Shake off the excess crumbs and place the ravioli on either a non-stick baling sheet or one lined with parchment paper.
Bake the ravioli at 375 degrees for about 15 minutes, or more if you watch them, until they are slightly golden on top. Don’t let them burn on the bottom. Remove from the oven and let them cool slightly. Offer your guests a cup of your favorite marinara sauce for dunking and watch your baked ravioli appetizers disappear in minutes.
Baked Ravioli Appetizers
Yield: serves 10
Total Time: 35 minutes total
- one cup bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon each, dried basil and dried oregano
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup milk
- one 9-ounce package refrigerated cheese-filled ravioli
- one cup marinara sauce, either home-made of your favorite brand in a jar
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Stir together the breadcrumbs, spices and Parmesan in a bowl
- In another bowl, stir together the sour cream and the milk
- Coat the ravioli in the sour cream mixture, then in the breadcrumb mixture, shaking off the excess
- Place the ravioli on parchment paper on a large baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or more, until lightly browned
- Heat the marinara sauce and use it for dipping the baked ravioli